On December 28, 2016, the New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL) published its own rule increasing the base salary for the executive and administrative exemptions under the New York Labor Law . These increases will become effective December 31, 2016, irrespective of the status of the federal regulations. In addition, the NYSDOL’s increase to the minimum hourly wage, likewise scheduled for December 31, 2016, will proceed as expected.
The new salary basis for upstate employers who have employees classified as executive or administrative increase annually, as follows:
Employers outside of New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, and Westchester Counties:
• $727.50 per week on and after 12/31/16
• $780.00 per week on and after 12/31/17
• $832.00 per week on and after 12/31/18
• $885.00 per week on and after 12/31/19
• $937.50 per week on and after 12/31/20